Friday, October 30, 2009

Great Room Project Update, Tuesday 10/27

Stainmaster



My baseboard system consists of three bits. The baseboard itself (essentially stained 1” x 6” boards) and the base cap (a shaped top molding) were both salvaged from when I tore the room apart. The base shoe would be new. I dragged the baseboards, which kind of looked like they had been attacked by squirrels, back inside.
.
.
.
.
.
.
They went in fine, but when I was setting the cap in place, there was a piece missing. Now, when I took these out, I remember breaking a small piece, and I was able to glue back together. But where did it go? Jeez... It will reappear when I move stuff from the garage back in into the Great Room. Just to add insult to injury.

The piece that wasn't there


Luckily, the original builders used a standard molding which is still available today(!). My buddies at Lowe’s didn’t have that shape, but the pointed me in the right direction. I also picked up the base shoe pieces, which differ from standard quarter round like this:




Stain time. In order to get an approximate match to the existing color, I had to dig through my collection of ancient wood stain remnants and mix up a custom batch. A little trial and error, and I was in the staining business.

.

No comments: