Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Carb o' the Week

Pancake Day 2010

Little did I know that there is such a thing as Pancake Day. How have I been missing this all these years? This was brought to my attention by the the folks at IHOP and their TV ads during the Winter Olympics.

A smidgen of online research revealed that Pancake Day is a mosty British variation on Fat Tuesday, which, of course, marks the last day before the start of Lent. This day rates as a Notable Date in England, a step or so below the lofty status of Bank Holiday (one of my favorite concepts). Related festivities include foot races involving running with skillets, and mob football. Tell me - what's not to like here? I think I have a new favorite holiday!

Also revealed were other variations on the Fat Tuesday theme, including Fastnacht Bay (large, Pennsylvanian Dutch donut-like things), Malasada Day in Hawaii (fried dough), and Bursting Day in Iceland (salt meat and peas, from the culinary tradition that brought us the split, singed sheep's head). You can look that last one up yourself, but I can assure you it is very real.

Anyway, all this called for waumping up a fresh batch of Bob's Random Multigrain Pancakes. This effort featured:

- 1 cup white flour, 1/2 cup semolina flour, 1/2 cup blue cornmeal
- molasses
- 1T or so wheat germ
- 1T or so ground flax
- 1T whole flax seeds
- blueberries
- the usual nuts and bolts (salt, baking powder, etc)


BEFORE:


AFTER:

2 comments:

Dana B. said...

Thank you for your random pancake recipe!!! i have to say you made the best pancakes i have ever had. I am going to try to reproduce them,but im sure it won't be quite the same! i will let you know how it goes!

B.O.B. said...

That's what's fun about them - they are never the same twice. I use the basic Betty Crocker recipe as a guide for proportions, then make a subsitution for most everything. I'm sure yours will turn out great! Empty out that fridge!